Victims of Felonies

Quick Links

Search for a defendant’s court date
N.C. Statewide Automated Victim Assistance and Notification
Mecklenburg County Jail inmate search
N.C. Crime Victims Compensation Services
Victims of misdemeanors
Domestic violence victims
Typical stages of a case
Frequently asked questions
Map & Directions

If you wish to report a crime, please immediately contact the appropriate law enforcement agency. The DA's Office does not investigate crimes. All investigations are conducted by local law enforcement. For a list of law enforcement agencies in Mecklenburg County, visit our helpful links page.
The District Attorney’s Office is committed to seeking justice and protecting the community. Every day, our team of public servants is working to make Mecklenburg County a safer place to live, work and raise a family. The cooperation of crime victims and witnesses plays a crucial role in the work of the DA’s Office.

The DA’s Office is divided into teams or units that specialize in prosecuting specific types of cases. The Crimes Against Property Team, for example, prosecutes cases such as burglaries, larcenies and financial crimes while the Crimes Against Persons Team prosecutes violent offenses such as felony assaults, robberies and sexual assaults. Each prosecution team has a legal assistant who is available to answer victims’ questions about their cases. To reach the legal assistant assigned to your case, call the DA’s Office at 704-686-0700.

If you are the victim of a felony, the DA’s Office may mail information to you. Please review the materials, complete any forms as requested and return the necessary information to the DA’s Office as soon as possible. If you received these forms and need an additional copy, please contact the legal assistant assigned to your case.

ATTENTION ALL VICTIMS AND WITNESSES: If your address or phone number has changed since that information was provided to police and there has been an arrest in your case, please immediately call the DA’s Office at 704-686-0700 to provide the new information. If the police have not yet made an arrest, please continue to keep the police (not the DA’s Office) updated with your contact information. Visit our helpful links for contact information for law enforcement agencies in Mecklenburg County and North Carolina.

Frequently asked questions about victims of felonies
+How can I find a defendant's next court date?

Click here to search for a defendant’s court date. You may also call the DA’s Office at 704-686-0700. If you plan to come to court for a proceeding for which you were not subpoenaed, the office highly recommends first confirming that court date with the DA’s Office.

+How can I find out when a defendant is released from jail?

There are two resources you may wish to review. You can access the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's online inmate inquiry search to determine whether a defendant is still in custody at the Mecklenburg County Jail. You may also visit the North Carolina Department of Public Safety’s website to learn more about the Statewide Automated Victim Assistance and Notification (SAVAN) program. The SAVAN system is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding the custody status of an offender and to register to receive telephone and email notification when the offender’s custody status changes. The toll-free number for the N.C. SAVAN system is 1-877-627-2826. Note: These websites and services are not associated with the DA's Office, however, you may contact the DA’s Office at 704-686-0700 if you have questions or concerns about a defendant’s release from jail.

+I want to get a restraining order. What should I do?

A restraining order is issued in civil court, and an Assistant District Attorney does not represent you or appear in civil court. The Assistant District Attorney prosecutes criminal actions in criminal court (such as criminal violations of a restraining order). If you have a restraining order, and the defendant violates the terms of the restraining order, you should contact the police. Domestic violence victims may contact Safe Alliance’s Victim Assistance program for assistance at 704-336-4126.

+Does the DA’s Office provide therapy services?

The DA’s Office refers victims to local organizations that can provide therapy or help victims locate available resources. For questions regarding therapy for children, contact Pat’s Place Child Advocacy Center at 704-335-2760. Sexual assault and domestic violence victims may contact Safe Alliance at 704-332-9034 for information about support groups and other services. Safe Alliance’s Victim Assistance program also provides safety planning, crisis counseling, assistance with protective orders and more. For information about this program, call 704-336-4126. Mecklenburg County Domestic Violence, Substance Use & Violence Prevention Services also assists adults and children. Call 704-336-3210 for more information. Sexual assault victims may wish to contact the N.C. Coalition Against Sexual Assault at 919-871-1015. The N.C. Victim Assistance Network works with victims of crime from across the state to link them with assistance in their communities. Call 919-831-2857 or 1-800-348-5068 (toll free) for more information.

+If I’m a victim or witness, and the defendant or someone else threatens me or tries to intimidate me, what should I do?

First, call the police. Then, contact the Assistant District Attorney assigned to your case.

+What if I want to dismiss or "drop" the charges?

A victim cannot drop or dismiss charges, and the DA's Office does not dismiss charges at the request of a victim or witness. The office will make all decisions regarding whether to proceed with the prosecution of the defendant. You may contact the DA’s Office or come to court as subpoenaed to discuss the matter with the prosecutor.

+If I am subpoenaed, do I have to go to court? Even if I’ve already given a statement to police?

Yes. If you don’t come to court when subpoenaed, the judge has the authority to issue an order for your arrest and an order for you to show cause as to why you did not appear as directed by the court through the subpoena. You must come to court even if you previously provided a statement to police. At trial, victims and witnesses must appear in the courtroom and take an oath to tell the truth. Then, they must testify in person before the jury.

2017 All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions