Victims of Domestic Violence

Quick Links

Safe Alliance’s 24-hour domestic violence crisis line: 704-332-2513

Search for a defendant's court date
North Carolina Statewide Automated Victim Assistance and Notification (SAVAN): 1-877-627-2826

Typical stages of a case
Map & Directions
Safe Alliance Victim Assistance
Mecklenburg County Domestic Violence & Violence Prevention Services
Domestic Violence Healthcare Project at Carolinas Medical Center
The District Attorney’s Office is committed to ending domestic violence in our community. We have a team of Assistant District Attorneys who exclusively prosecute crimes — both misdemeanors and felonies — that occur between people in intimate relationships. These prosecutors are trained to handle the sensitive issues that arise in these cases, and they work every day to protect victims and seek justice. The DA’s Office is fortunate to have community partners that offer resources to help victims safely leave abusive relationships. For more information about local resources, shelter, safety plans and more, please contact Safe Alliance or Mecklenburg County Domestic Violence & Violence Prevention Services.

If you are the victim of a crime involving domestic violence, the DA’s Office will mail information and other materials to you. Please review the materials, complete any forms as requested and return the necessary information to the DA’s Office as soon as possible. If you have not received a victim impact statement via the U.S. Postal Service, or if you need an additional copy, please call the DA's Office at 704-686-0700.

If you have any questions that are not answered here or elsewhere on our website, please call the DA’s Office at 704-686-0700.

ATTENTION ALL VICTIMS AND WITNESSES: If your address or phone number has changed since that information was provided to police, and there has been an arrest in your case, please immediately call the DA’s Office at 704-686-0700 to provide the new information. If the police have not yet made an arrest, please continue to keep the police (not the DA’s Office) updated with your contact information. Visit our helpful links for contact information for law enforcement agencies in Mecklenburg County and North Carolina.

If you wish to report a crime, please immediately contact the appropriate law enforcement agency. The DA's Office does not investigate crimes. All investigations are conducted by local law enforcement. For a list of law enforcement agencies in Mecklenburg County, visit our helpful links.

Frequently asked questions about domestic violence cases
+Will the defendant get out of jail before the trial?

The defendant has pretrial conditions of release that are set by a judge. The defendant can get out of jail by satisfying these conditions, which may include the posting of a bond.

+How can I find out when a defendant is released from jail?

There are two resources you may wish to review. You can access the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's online inmate inquiry search to determine whether a defendant is still in custody at the Mecklenburg County Jail. You may also visit the North Carolina Department of Public Safety’s website to learn more about the Statewide Automated Victim Assistance and Notification (SAVAN) program. The SAVAN system is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding the custody status of an offender and to register to receive telephone and email notification when the offender’s custody status changes. The toll-free number for the North Carolina SAVAN system is 1-877-627-2826.
Note: These websites and services are not associated with the DA's Office, however, you may contact the DA’s Office at 704-686-0700 if you have questions or concerns about a defendant’s release from jail.

+When will there be a trial?

The trial date for District Court (misdemeanor) cases is set in courtroom 4130 for a date several weeks after the defendant is arrested. Court dates in Superior Court are handled on a different timeframe, and victims will be notified of those court dates.

+How will I know the exact trial date?

You will be subpoenaed approximately three weeks before the trial date. You may be subpoenaed by phone, mail or in person. If anyone tells you that the court date has changed, you should contact the DA's Office at 704-686-0700 to confirm that information.

+What if I want to dismiss or "drop" the charges?

The DA's Office does not dismiss charges at the request of a victim or witness. The Assistant District Attorney assigned to the courtroom on your court date will make all decisions regarding whether to proceed with the prosecution of the defendant. You should come to court as subpoenaed, and you will then have an opportunity to discuss the matter with the Assistant District Attorney.

+What if I don't come to court even though I was subpoenaed?

The judge has the authority to issue an order for your arrest and an order for you to show cause as to why you did not appear as directed by the court through the subpoena.

+I want to get a restraining order. What should I do?

For information about getting a restraining order, you may contact Safe Alliance at 704-336-4126 or visit Safe Alliance’s website. A restraining order is issued in civil court, and an Assistant District Attorney does not represent you or appear in civil court. The Assistant District Attorney prosecutes criminal actions in criminal court (such as criminal violations of a restraining order). If you have a restraining order, and the defendant violates the terms of the restraining order, you should contact the police immediately.

+I did not receive or I have lost a copy of the paperwork sent to me by the prosecutor. How can I get another copy of the victim impact statement that I was asked to complete and return to the prosecutor?

Call us at 704-686-0700 and ask to speak to a domestic violence legal assistant.

+What if I have medical bills due to this incident?

If you have suffered a physical injury that caused you to have medical expenses, or if you have lost wages because of this incident, you may be eligible for compensation from the State of North Carolina through the victims’ compensation program. There are requirements and restrictions. The DA’s Office does not administer this program. You may call 1-800-826-6200 or visit the North Carolina Crime Victims Compensation Services’ website for more information

+I have heard about a program called NOVA. What is it?

New Options for Violent Actions (NOVA) is a program that defendants may be ordered to complete as a condition of probation. Click here to learn more about the NOVA program.

+The defendant's lawyer, investigator or other staff member wants to talk to me. Do I have to?

That is solely your decision. If you decide that you want to talk to the defense, be sure to tell the truth.

+What if I move or change my telephone number?

If you move or change your phone number, it is very important that you immediately let the DA's Office know of this change. Call a domestic violence legal assistant at our office at 704-686-0700.

+Where is the criminal courthouse?

See Map & Directions for more information.

2017 All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions